Bellingham History Books
FamLoc displays details of Bellingham history books and provides the facility for buying them online
Click on an image for more information:
History of the Borough of Lewisham, by Leland L. Duncan
This book was first published in 1908, and covers the geographic area of what was then the Metropolitan Borough of Lewisham, formed in 1900, and includes Lewisham, Lee, Catford, Hither Green, Forest Hill, Bellingham, Rushey Green, Southend, Honor Oak, part of Blackheath, part of Brockley, and part of Sydenham.
It is a history of those places, and not a history of the borough.
The book covers the history from ancient times up to 1908. It is rich in the origins of street names and places, and includes much information on churches, topography, notable events, people of influence, and much more. 73 excellent photographs and illustrations are included, making it invaluable for the local historian, family historian, and others with a connection to the places mentioned.
This FamLoc edition is a slight modification; there have been changes to format and some punctuation. However, the grammar and prose has been faithfully retained, other than changes to a handful of typographical errors and the very few instances where clarity was required.
Below is an extract from History of the Borough of Lewisham:
The religious changes of the middle of the 16th century made considerable alterations in the ownership of a large part of the parish. Bellingham, lying between Catford and Southend, which belonged to the Cistercian Monastery of Stratford Langthorne, in Essex, came to the Crown, and in 1547 the College of St. Lawrence Poultney, in London, was suppressed, by which the Manor of Catford also came into the royal hands. In the reign therefore of Edward VI for a brief period the whole of the manorial rights in the district were reunited under the King as Lord of the Manor. This lasted but for a year or two, for in 1548 Catford was granted to Henry Polstede, of Chileworth, and William More, of Loseley, both in Surrey, for the sum of £2,034 14s. 10d.; in 1550 Lewisham Manor was granted to John, Earl of Warwick; and in 1554 Bellingham was conferred on Richard Whetely, to whom a lease had already been granted by the last Abbot of Stratford.