Belsize Park History Books

Belsize Park History Books

FamLoc displays details of Belsize Park history books and provides the facility for buying them online

Click on an image for more information:

The Northern Heights of London, by William Howitt

Northern Heights of London

Northern Heights of London

This book was first published in 1869, and covers Hampstead, Belsize Park, Highgate, Islington, Muswell Hill and Hornsey.
For this FamLoc Edition there have been some inevitable changes to format, especially regarding the quotations, although the prose has been faithfully retained, other than changes to one or two typographical errors, and where clarity is required.
It is over 500 pages, packed with information on the geography, people and events, and also includes 40 line drawings from photographs. This book is a valuable resource for local historians and family historians, as well as those who just want to know more about the place in which they live.

Mention of Belsize Park in The Northern heights of London

Manor of Belsize
Granted to the Waads (or Wades) after the dissolution of Monasteries — Sir Armigell Wade, Clerk of the Council to Henry VIII and Edward VI — sailed to America in 1536 — Sir William Wade, Ambas­sador from Queen Elizabeth to Spain — his independent conduct — employed at the Courts of France, Portugal, and Denmark, and in treating with the Queen of Scots — Lieutenant of the Tower, &c. — super­seded by Carr, Earl of Somerset, in order to the murder of Sir Thomas Overbury — his epitaph — The Manor passed from the widow of Sir William Wade, Lady Anne Wade, to the son of Lord Hemfleet — Lord Wotton of Wotton — Desperate attack on Belsize House by robbers in Lord Wotton’s time — Visit of Pepys to Belsize House in 1668 — The Manor devolved to the Earl of Chesterfield — House rebuilt — The Estate sold by Lord Chesterfield, and divided — House pulled down in 1852 — In 1718 occupied by Mr. Povey, a singular character and writer — his proceedings towards the French Ambassador and the Prince of Wales.

Belsize as a Place of Amusement
Hampstead formerly inhabited chiefly by washerwomen — Became a watering-place at the commencement of the eighteenth century — Dissipation at the Wells, the Heath Races, and at Belsize House — Ben Jonson’s ‘Tale of a Tub’ — The Comedy of ‘Hampstead Heath’ — extract from it — Gardens and sports at Belsize — Howell, called the ‘Welsh Ambassador,’ the landlord of Belsize — Gambling and immorality there — Deer-hunt in the Park — Satiric poem on Belsize House quoted — Folly houses — Belsize one of them — Vauxhall Gardens an imitation of Belsize — Troop of armed men to resist the highwaymen haunting the road — Reconverted to a private house — Murder of Mr. Delarue  — House demolished about 1852 — Increase in Housing, St John’s Wood to Haverstock Hill.

Other Belsize Park History Books

We include other Belsize History Books in our panel (above). Please also refer to our Hampstead Local History Books page for more books.

We at FamLoc are very much interested in republishing out-of-print local history books and making them available to a new generation. Your suggestions are welcome.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.