Blackheath History Books
FamLoc lists details of Blackheath history books, and provides the facility for buying them online.
We welcome suggestions for displaying Blackheath history books
Click on an image below for more info and the option to buy:
History of the Borough of Lewisham, by Leland L. Duncan
This book was first published in 1908, and covers the geographic area of what was then the Metropolitan Borough of Lewisham, formed in 1900, and includes Lewisham, Lee, Catford, Hither Green, Forest Hill, Bellingham, Rushey Green, Southend, Honor Oak, part of Blackheath, part of Brockley, and part of Sydenham. It is a history of those places, and not a history of the borough.
The book covers the history from ancient times up to 1908. It is rich in the origins of street names and places, and includes much information on churches, topography, notable events, people of influence, and much more. 73 excellent photographs and illustrations are included, making it invaluable for the local historian, family historian, and others with a connection to the places mentioned.
This FamLoc edition is a slight modification; there have been changes to format and some punctuation. However, the grammar and prose has been faithfully retained, other than changes to a handful of typographical errors and the very few instances where clarity was required.
Below is an extract from History of the Borough of Lewisham:
There are few places that can show a richer record of historical interest than Blackheath. Its ample extent, its proximity to London, and the ancient homes of our kings at Eltham and Greenwich have all combined to make it the meeting ground of royalist and rebel alike, the scene of fights real and mimic, of encampments without number, and pageants connected with some of the most stirring events in the history of the country. It will then be a fitting place from which to start on our itinerary of the Borough of Lewisham, within the bounds of which the greater part of the Heath lies.
The Hundred of Blackheath, which comprises the seven parishes in the north-west corner of Kent, is styled the Hundred of Grenviz or Greenwich in Domesday, but by the time of Edward I the title had been changed to that of Blackheath. The name has been variously derived from the colour of the soil – which seems rather fanciful – and its bleak situation, which is probably the more correct. It appears in early charters and court rolls as the Common “ de la Blake Hethe.” On the Heath are various ill-defined mounds, which have been designated British, Saxon, Danish and Roman by various investigators. The mount known as Whitfield’s Mount has been thought by some to be a British burial place, but the whole surface of the Heath has been so continually disturbed from time to time, that it is almost impossible to assign any of the earth-works with certainty to a particular period.
Other Blackheath History Books and Maps
We also include maps because they are a valuable source for making sense of the location and street names. Of particular interest are the Godfrey Edition maps, which are printed at a large scale, have street names included, and have the bonus of extracts from directories on the reverse, showing the names and proprietors of shops, doctors, etc.
We are always looking for more Blackheath History Books, and welcome suggestions.