Camberwell Churches and Chapels

FamLoc lists Camberwell churches and chapels and where possible, gives details of location with a map link.

As well as being of architectural interest, churches are of prime importance for family historians. Not only do many registers predate civil registration, but the certificates contain the actual signatures of ancestors. We display the dates at particular churches and chapels for which there are registers.

There is much more information on Camberwell’s churches and chapels in

History of the Parish of Camberwell vol I

Click here for Camberwell Local History Books

Camberwell Presbyterian Church

Church Street, Camberwell
London Borough of Southwark
Camberwell Presbyterian Church LMA link
Camberwell Presbyterian Church map link
We do not know the exact location; the map link merely points to Camberwell Church Street.
Register of baptisms: 1867 – 1935

Camden Chapel, Camberwell

Camberwell
London Borough of Southwark
Camden Chapel Lost Churches link
Camden Chapel map link
The parish was incorporated into St. Giles in 1960. The site is now occupied by flats (Voltaire House).
Camden Chapel map link
Registers at London Metropolitan Archives: See CAMDEN CHURCH

Camden Church, Camberwell

Camden Church, Camberwell
Peckham Road, Camberwell
London Borough of Southwark
See also CAMDEN CHAPEL
Register of Baptisms: 1845-1951
Register of Marriages: 1845-1951

Emmanuel Church, Camberwell

Emmanuel Church, Camberwell
Camberwell Road, Camberwell
London Borough of Southwark
Emmanuel, Camberwell Lost Churches link
Emmanuel, Camberwell map link
Closed in 1967, demolished 1968.
Register of Baptisms: 1843-1963
Register of Marriages: 1843-1963

Emmanuel Church is described in History of the Parish of Camberwell vol I:

“This church was erected at a cost of about £5,000, which was defrayed by the Commissioners for building new Churches and Chapels; and the Metropolitan Churches Fund, aided by a munificent gift of £1,900 from Sir Edward Bowyer-Smijth, Bart., who also gave the land on which the church is built, and a house and garden adjoining, for the minister. Sir Edward, who laid the first stone on the 29th June, 1840, subsequently gave the organ, by Robson, which was rebuilt in 1861 by Lewis. There are galleries on three sides of the church, supported by cast-iron columns. The altar at the east end is in a recess under a semicircular arch, beneath which is a row of smaller arches supported by slender columns, containing the Lord’s Prayer, Commandments, and Creed. Within a semicircular projection at this end is a small robing-room. The pulpit is square, and rests on a circular pillar. The font is a circular basin of neat design, corresponding with other decorations of the church. There are sittings for upwards of 1,000 persons, 511 of which are free and unappropriated. Mr. Thomas Bellamy was the architect, and the Rev. W. Harker is the patron. The first minister was the Rev. Robert Fayrer, instituted in 1842, who was succeeded by the Rev. W. Harker, and subsequently (1869) by the Rev. W. English.”

St Augustine, Camberwell

Location unknown, other than it being a licensed place of worship in the parish of ST JAMES
“The last reference to the church was in the 1937 Diocesan Directory so it was probably lost in the War. No address was given.” (Lost Churches website).
St Augustine, Camberwell, Lost Churches web link

St Batholomew, Camberwell

Refer to our Bermondsey Churches page

Saint George, Camberwell

St. George's Church, Camberwell
Wells Way, Camberwell
London Borough of Southwark
Saint George, Camberwell Lost Churches link
Saint George, Camberwell map link
Converted to residential use.
Register of Baptisms: 1826-1961
Register of Marriages: 1826-1968
Register of Burials: 1826-1905

Saint Giles, Camberwell

St. Giles Church, Camberwell
Camberwell Church Street, Camberwell
London Borough of Southwark
The historic church (pre-Norman origins), rebuilt by Henry VIII. Destroyed by fire in 1841 and the present church built on the same site.
Saint Giles, Camberwell, Lost Churches web link
Saint Giles, Camberwell web link (current church)
Saint Giles, Camberwell map link
Register of Baptisms: 1558-1960
Register of Marriages: 1558-1957
Register of Burials: 1557-1856

Saint John, Camberwell

Forest Hill
Although most of Forest Hill is within the London Borough of Lewisham, the Lost Churches website lists this under Camberwell.
“Listed in Diocesan Directories from 1923 (or earlier) to 1937 as a licensed place of worship in St Giles parish. Given that and the address given as “Forest Hill” it may have been the chapel in Camberwell Old Cemetery (a detached part of St Giles parish at Forest Hill). There was also a Presbyterian church of St John at Forest Hill from 1871-?, which might be the same although it would be unusual for a ‘free’ church to be listed in the Directory.” (Lost Churches website)
Saint John, Forest Hill, Lost Churches web link

Saint Mark, Camberwell

Cobourg Road, Camberwell
London Borough of Southwark
Saint Mark, Camberwell Lost Churches web link
Saint Mark, Camberwell map link
Still used for worship, though not Christian
Register of Baptisms: 1880-1962
Register of Marriages: 1881-1962

Saint Mary’s Welsh Church, Camberwell

Camberwell New Road, Camberwell
London Borough of Southwark
Saint Mary’s Welsh Church, Camberwell Lost Churches link
Saint Mary’s Welsh Church, Camberwell map link
http://www.southwark.anglican.org/downloads/lostchurches/CAM13.pdf
http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=532235&Y=176930&A=Y&Z=110
Demolished. Exact location not known. Map link merely points to Camberwell New Road.
AT LMA: See EMMANUEL
Register of Baptisms: 1912 – 1939

Saint Michael and all Angels, Camberwell

Sultan Street, Camberwell
London Borough of Southwark
“St Michael’s Church appears to have originated in the Railway Arch Mission, Wyndham Road, established in the parish of St George, Camberwell in the 1870s. In August 1883 part of St George’s parish west of Camberwell Road, and with it St Michael’s Mission Church, was transferred to the parish of St John the Divine, Kennington. A new church was built in Sultan Street. In 1922 St Michael’s became a separate parish.” (National Archives)
Saint Michael and all Angels, Camberwell National Archives link
Saint Michael and all Angels, Camberwell Sultan Street map link
Saint Michael and all Angels, Camberwell present site link
Register of Baptisms: 1878 – 1982 Register of marriages: 1923 – 1966

Saint Thomas, Camberwell

Albany Road, Camberwell
London Borough of Southwark
Saint Thomas, Camberwell Lost Churches web link
Saint Thomas, Camberwell map link
Exact location unknown; map link merely points to Albany Road.
Presumed demolished.
AT LMA: See SAINT MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS,
Register of Baptisms: 1876 – 1877

Wyndham Road Mission, Camberwell

Camberwell
London Borough of Southwark
Wyndham Road Mission, Camberwell Lost Churches link
Wyndham Road Mission, Camberwell map link
AT LMA: See SAINT MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
Register of Baptisms: 1876 – 1878


Comments

Camberwell Churches — 1 Comment

  1. Hello, there was a church in Benhill Road, demolished in 1979 or 1980, now there is only a hall left but the original church had a tower. I’ve searched online but cannot find any mention of the church, does anyone remember of know any details?

    thank you

    Tony

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.