Hither Green History Books
FamLoc lists details of Hither Green history books, and provides the facility for buying them online.
The History of the Borough of Lewisham, first published in 1908, covers what was then the Metropolitan Borough of Lewisham, formed in 1900. The book includes Lewisham, Lee, Catford, Hither Green, Forest Hill, Bellingham, Rushey Green, Southend, Honor Oak, part of Blackheath, part of Brockley, and part of Sydenham.
The book is rich in the origins of street names and places, and includes much information on churches, topography, notable events, people of influence, and much more.
73 photographs and illustrations are included, making it invaluable for the local historian and family historian.
Below is an extract from History of the Borough of Lewisham:
The name Hither Green first appears in the Parish Registers in 1716, and in most of the earliest references is spelt Hether or Heather Green – which is the most probable origin of the name. On the other hand, in the early part of the 19th century the lower portion of Hither Green Lane, near Brownhill Road, was known as “Further Green,” which would indicate “hither” or “nearer” as the origin. Although proof is wanting there seems little doubt that the ancient name was Romburgh, which is of frequent occurrence in documents of the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries, but has now quite disappeared. Hither Green for many years consisted of farm land. There were a few cottages built on a strip of roadside waste near and opposite the “Spotted Cow,” and a few houses standing in their own grounds. The site of two of these is now occupied by the Park Hospital, the greater part of the grounds of which was the original “green” enclosed in 1810.
We are always looking for more Hither Green history books, and welcome suggestions.
Click on the image below for more info and the facility to buy online.