New Cross History and Family History

Welcome to the main page for New Cross History and Family History. From here you can link to various other pages containing information on New Cross history. Some of them are our own pages, but we also include links to other handy websites.

For hundreds of years New Cross was in the Parish of Deptford.

We include a modern map of New Cross (above) for those who do not know the area.

The following is an extract on New Cross History from History of Deptford, by Nathan Dews:

In the Domesday Book, compiled by order of William the Conqueror, 1087, the Manor of Hatcham is noticed in the following terms:

“In Brixton Hundred the Bishop of Lisieux holds of the Bishop of Baieux Hachesham, which Brixi held of King Edward. It was then assessed at three hides, as it now is; the arable land amounts to three caracutes. There are nine villanes and three bordars, with three caracutes; and there are six acres of meadow; the wood yields three swine: from the time of King Edward (the Confessor) it has been valued at forty shillings.”

In the reign of Henry II, Hatcham was the seat of a family of the same name; for we find by a certificate returned into the Exchequer at that time that Gilbert de Hatcham (or Haachesham, as then spelt) accounted for four knights’ fees of the Barony of Wakelin de Maminot. In the next reign, as stated in the “Testa de Nevill,” two knights’ fees in Hatcham and Camberwell were held of Humphrey de Bohun, Earl of Hereford, by William de Say, and the heirs of Richard de Vabadun. Sarah, the daughter and heiress of de Vabadun, married Roger de Bavant, who in the 46th year of the reign of Henry III accounted to the Exchequer for two knights’ fees, pertaining to the above-mentioned barony. A composition was made in 1274 between the Prior of Bermondsey and the Abbot of Begham, of Hatcham, in the parish of West Greenwich, which was let to the abbot for the sum of 13s. 4d. per annum.

All or most of New Cross was once known as Hatcham, and was within the Parish of Deptford. It is now in the Borough of Lewisham.
New Cross is in South-East London, and has the post code SE14.
For those visiting the area, New Cross and New Cross Gate stations are the nearest.

Lewisham Local History and Archives Centre
199-201, Lewisham High Street,
SE13 6LG
Tel: 0208 314 8501
Website

We welcome all contributions on New Cross Local and Family History.

Click here for New Cross Churches and Chapels

Click here for New Cross Schools

Click here for New Cross History Books

 

 

 


Comments

New Cross History — No Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.